Riverfront Streetcar 101


Convenient transit circulator system


Designed for local travel with connections to regional transit services

Fixed Rails

Vehicles operate on fixed rails embedded within the street surface


Powered by electricity received from an overhead “catenary” wire


Operated in mixed traffic


Efficient, inexpensive travel option for commuters, visitors, residents/ businesses

Electric streetcar service began in Sacramento around 1890 linking a bustling downtown district with residential neighborhoods, workplaces and a growing series of suburbs

In 1906, PG&E began operating streetcars throughout Midtown, Curtis Park, Land Park, Oak Park and East Sacramento. These Streetcars were a critical transportation resource

Two other companies ran streetcar routes downtown along with suburban lines to West Sacramento, North Sacramento, Rio Linda, Elverta, Colonial Heights and Colonial Acres

Until 1947, Sacramentans rode streetcars to work, school, the State Fair – just about anywhere they wanted to go until streetcars were replaced by National City Line buses